Metis Learning Solutions joining hands with the California-based chip-maker Intel has launched a new educational tablet named Eddy especially for kids aged between 2 – 10 years. Eddy would be made available exclusively at Amazon.in for a month before it gets its availability through retail shops. Eddy gets a price tag of Rs. 9,999. Also both the companies announce the tablet getting launch discounts and offers worth Rs. 4,500 only for a limited period.
- The tablet comes with a 7-inch scratch-proof, multi touch capacitive and impact resistant IPS display.
- The display also comes with a UV-ray protective layer to safeguard kids’ eyes.
- An Intel Atom Z2520 SoC (2 cores, 1.2GHz, 4 threads, 1MB cache) powers the Eddy tablet.
- The tablet designed with kids learning in mind runs Android 4.2.2 along with an Athena OS skin.
- It also comes with built-in parental control features.
- The built in storage is about 16GB that can be still expanded up to 32GB with microSD card.
- Over 160 learning apps come pre- loaded with the tablet. And these apps have been consciously selected by experts and educators with the aim to trigger emotional, social and cognitive development in the children.
Intel South Asia’s Marketing and Market Development Director, Mr. Sandeep Arora said that today we are living in an era where every child from their early years is exposed to technology. So on using technology efficiently and effectively can truly do wonders in child’s life. The Eddy tablet with Intel Atom processor provides an exciting and innovative solution for kids by combing battery life and an ideal performance balance together with strong learning content.
Metis Learning Solutions co-founder, Bharat Gulia told IANS that a pilot project for the tablet was done by the company with 500 children. The company has almost spent 2 to 3 solid years in developing and building this tablet. Bharat Gulia also said that since these years are the critical learning phase and best potential years in every child’s life that leads them to have successful future it becomes important to give them something best and engaging.
A recent study conducted reveals that Indian children spend 2 hours every day watching TV and their usage of parent’s smartphones for playing games is increasing which also makes them spend lot of time in it. Parents are in a way concerned a lot about the TV contents and Smartphones being violent with having poor or no educational value. Also in the Indian market the size of tablet is 4 million out of which 10 percent is blocked by children’s tablet market. Understanding this, the makers of Eddy have come forth in providing safe and responsible technology alternative that can introduce kids to the technology world.
As Amazon.in has witnessed lot of children’s products getting in demand, Amazon India’s Director Category Management Samir Kumar said that Amazon is very happy about partnering with the makers of Eddy tablet.
Gulia also said that they are working to tie up with pre-schools and schools for this tablet where it can be noted that pre-schools are especially showing lot of interest.
Referring back Metis Learning Solutions had earlier in January launched an Eddy tablet which like the new one was focused on educational content featuring 7-inch IPS display, dual-core processor and Android Jelly Bean.
What do you think about Eddy making up with the tablet market in India? Is it really going to be that worthy for children’s successful future? Log in your suggestions and views on this regard in the comments session below.