Just as the press releases had confirmed, Xiaomi’s MIUI 7 global ROM was unveiled in India. The Android 5.1 Lollipop based firmware brought in a lot of interface improvements, better and faster response time, improved battery management, new customizable theme, facial recognition support in photos, Child Mode and support for Indian Languaes are some exciting features to look for.
There are four new system user interfaces that Xiaomi has launched:
- Pink blush
- Ocean breeze
- High life
All of which is customized for different preferances.
Xiaomi claims that MIUI 7 optimizes system response time by loading data and app animation in parallel. It is said to increase a smartphone’s speed by as much as 30 percent.It brings support for 10 Indic languages, and lets you skip annoying voice prompts with Interactive Visual Response (IVR). It is available on for banking, booking air tickets and more from 50 Indian partners including Citibank, ICICI bank, Spicejet, Indigo, Tata Sky, HeroMotoCorp, and more. It has partnered with Opera Max to provide a new smart Data Saver feature, which compresses browser and in-app media, letting you save up to 50 percent of data usage. This feature will roll out in September to users in China, India, Brazil, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia and Philippines.
MIUI 7 |Features
- There is also an interesting SMS filter feature, which moves all non-contact SMSes to notification. The feature also gives option to copy OTP passwords from the notification panel.
- The XXL Text feature introduces five different text sizes for user preference.
- MIUI 7 brings in facial recognition in the Camera roll in order to detect baby photos.
- The software automatically groups and arranges them in a separate album.
- A new weather app is also introduced with themes related to the city you are in.
- There is also an auto DND feature on MIUI 7. It is paired with Mi Band to know when you have gone to sleep.
- A special Child Mode enables children to use the device, but gives users more control on what apps kids can see on the smartphone.
- The new Showtime feature brings in the capability to set videos for contacts with Xiaomi phones. So when a person calls, the five second video starts playing in loop on your homescreen instead of the normal ringtone. This feature isn’t coming with the upcoming update, but will be rolled out in a few months.
- It has even introduced a new MUSE software tool for theme designers which will allow third parties and users to create Themes without complex coding.
- There are a slew of new HD wallpapers also, with 10 pre-set available on Daily Lock screen rotation.
- These wallpapers are currently only available to Indian users.
MIUI 7 | Availability
The MIUI 7 beta version will be available for Indian users from August 24, and will support smartphones like Redmi 2, Redmi 1S, Mi 3, Mi 4, Mi 4i, Redmi Note 3G and Redmi Note 4G. The company states that the first version of MIUI was released almost 5 years ago on August 16, 2010. In just five years, MIUI has grown to over 150 million users in over 156 countries and regions.
For your queries to be addressed regarding to the content of the article, comment in the section below. Your valuable feedback and comments are welcome. For daily updates on technology do visit us again. You can also catch us on our Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Pinterest for timely updates.