Nokia based at Finland, the once ruler of the handset market is making a comeback with its new 7.9-inch tablet called the N1 tablet. This new piece from Nokia for the first time runs Android Lollipop OS. The company calls this Nokia N1 as the “first Nokia-branded Android tablet” after it unshackled from Microsoft.
Nokia at the Slush 2014 event on announcing its latest N1 tablet said that it would first release this N1 tablet in the Chinese market by next year February after which is to take up with Russia. The N1 tablet’s brand-licensing agreement is extended by Nokia to Foxconn (which also makes Apple’s handsets) based at Taiwan, an OEM partner which would do the manufacturing, distribution and sales.
However, nothing was commented with regards to the N1 getting launched in India and the US.
The N1 tablet also with Android Lollipop OS gets a layer of its own Z launcher added that was so long on private beta.
Nokia Technologies Head of Products, Sebastian Nystrom at the Slush technology conference held in Helsinki launched the Nokia N1 tablet. And during the launch he stated that Nokia is pleased to get its brand name once again in its consumer’s hands helping to make sophisticated technologies simple. He also added up stating that this N1 Android tablet from Nokia would be a great product for those who have still not found the right Android tablet and also a “a new beginning for Nokia.”
It was also hinted at the event that Nokia has got plans to get a new Android Smartphone developed which can only happen after 2016 as Microsoft deal on acquiring Nokia’s devices and services division included a commitment that Nokia should not enter smartphones market until Q4 2016 and into feature phones for the next 10 years.
Now let’s have a quick look at the
Specifications of this new Nokia N1 Android Tablet
- The N1 comes with a 7.9-inch IPS LED-backlit display that gets a pixel resolution of 2048 x 1536.
- The display is a zero air gap display with gets Gorilla Glass 3 layer on it.
- The anodized aluminium unibodyis 9 mm thick.
- Powering the tablet is a 3GHz 64-bit Intel Atom Z3580 processor coupled with 2GB of LPDDR3 RAM (800MHz).
- The tablet is also designed with PowerVR G6430 GPU
- On the front for selfies is a 5 megapixel camera while at the rear is an 8 megapixel autofocus camera that records video at 1080p.
- On board storage is 32GB with no microSD card slot for further expansion.
- The newest Android – Lollipop OS is packed with the tablet along with a layer of its own Z launcher.
- Connectivity options added are dual channel 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi with MIMO, a 3.5mm audio jack,Bluetooth 4.0 and microUSB 2.0.
- Weighing at 318 grams the tablet measures 200.7×138.6×6.9mm.
- 5W stereo speakers are also found on the tablet.
- It gets life with a 5300mAh battery.
- An accelerometer and a 6-axis gyroscope are combined for sensors.
- The cost of the tablet is set to be $249( about 15,400) with two choice of colors, Natural Aluminium colour and Lava Grey .
So, the specs and design of the N1 tablet together give it a chic and stylish look but it is too early to really signify it to be a comeback for Nokia.