Qualcomm’s new chip Snapdragon 820 has been discussed for past many months. After many rumors, the specifications of the chip are leaked now. The company is desperately looking for a change because of the reports of major overheating problems related to the working of smartphones. Qualcomm has to do some major damage control with its next generation of chips. Some interesting facts have been revealed by a Chinese analyst Pan Jiutang on the new Snapdragon 820, more specifically MSM8996 version and full details regarding the chip will be unveiled hopefully in the next week.
The new Hydra CPU is apparently 35 percent faster than 810, Qualcomm’s current processor and its Adreno 530 graphics processor is 40 percent better graphic performance. It is expected to clock in 3.0GHz as compared to 2.0GHz in Snapdragon 810. Additionally, the chips 14 nanometer FinFet manufacturing process should also make it more efficient than 20nm Snapdragon 810, which makes it run faster. Qualcomm has once again discarded the stock ARM cores and designed a custom architecture. It is believed to be called as kryo, but the document refers it as Hydra. The company is confident that Hydra is cutting down the number of cores to four, instead of eight in Snapdragon 810. The new processor will manage power more than 30% better than the predecessor, also with the integrated Cat 10 LTE Modem.
Snapdragon 820 will support dual channel LPDDR4 memory with speeds up to 1688Mhz. Camera Capabilities have been improved also. This new chip can handle 28MP cameras with programmable progressing and post progressing DSP. The MSM 8996 will be fully prepared to handle 4k videos at 60fps. The data also reveals that there is a low power sensor for emerging always-on use cases and better security.
The leaked document hints that the Snapdragon 810 will be used in high end smartphones and tablets which will launch in early 2016. Pan Jiutang claims that it might power the Xiaomi Mi5 which will be launched in December 2015. The interesting part will be the responses by the smartphone companies in choosing the processor for their devices since many overheating problems have been reported by the customers.
MSM 8994 – MSM 8996 Advancements
- 14 nm w/significant power/Thermal improvements over 20nm
- Integrated Cat 10 modem
- Hydra CPU w/~35% performance improvement
- A530 GPU w/ 40 GPU performance & 30%+ power improvement with 64b shared virtual memory with CPU
- SMMU – improved security with reduced RAM for BYOD
- UBWC for DRAM BW reductions( multimedia B/W and power gains)
- UFS – G3 and emmc5.1 storage solutions
- 4k60 decode w/ 4k60 Miracast streaming(2.0)
- HEVC 10 bit and VP9decode
- Vesa DSC 1.1 compression with HDMI2.0(4k60)
- Camera CPHY for higher throughput/lower power
- New DSP w/Q6v60 825MHZ + 2xHVX for camera differentiation
- Low power sensors w/512KB (4x power improvement)
- SCSA security HW solution for 4k content promotion
- Additional PCle (3x total)
- New WCD 9335 audio codec and QCA 9500 .11 ad solutions
- QFE3100 Envelop tracking
- WTR3950 LTE-U
- SMB1351 QC3.0