All these days you could sign in to Medium the stylish blogging social writing network using Twitter or Facebook. Both the services made signing in to Medium very quick and easy. It also allowed Medium to build other user’s connections. This made it possible for other users to show stories written by them. It further enabled people to view recommended pages by other users. But be ready to welcome signing in through your e-mail.
There were some users who wanted to use Medium without using social network. There were these couple of users who did not have an account on Twitter or Facebook. Some users also prefer not to use their accounts for logging in. Some countries still do not allow people to access social networks. Hence Medium came up with the idea of signing in through secure e-mail links.For the sign-in process to be simple and secure process and authentication being a serious concern the team came up with this idea. Passwords are not all that secure or simple. It is hard to remember and often easy to guess. Passwords are also hard to type on mobiles.
Medium | The New Signing in Process
When you want to sign-in to Medium, there will be a special sign in link that is sent to you through e-mail. The process is as simple as that. In case you have used the “Forgot Password” feature, you will be aware of the process. But in most cases you don’t have to forget your password to use it. This may seem counterintuitive. Actually this is more secure than the password based authentication system. If someone guesses or hacks your password they can gain access to your account until you change the password. This might take some time.
Medium | With this e-mail only system:
- Whenever some one tries to sign in you are automatically notified.
- After a short amount of time the sign in link expires.
- The sign in link is one time use only.
Medium | The Big Question is What if some one gains access to your E-mail address?
- If someone has access to your email, they will be able to access your Medium account. In the case if Medium required passwords , there will be a Forget Password system and in any case they could use that to gain access to Medium through the link send to your email address.
- Sign in Link will expire in fifteen minutes.
- Check the spam folder for the link. In case you do not receive the link in a few minutes make sure that you have entered the right address.
- Ensure not to forward the sign in link to some one else, as any body will be able to access your Medium account.
- You will still be able to sign in through Facebook and Twitter and connect to the same after you create your account.
- You may also sign in to your Medium account through your email even if you earlier signed in through Facebook or Twitter.
- In case of accessing Medium through a shared device, ensure that you sign out of all your accounts once you are done.
For your queries to be addressed regarding to the content of the article, comment in the section below. Your valuable feedback and comments are welcome. For daily updates on technology do visit us again. You can also catch us on our Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Pinterest for timely updates.